Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Me and My Girls ::: Part 1


This is me on May 31st, 1946, at age 17, standing in my front yard at 1015 Woodland Avenue in Phoenix waiting for my family to drive me to Montgomery Stadium at Phoenix Union High School to participate in my high school graduation.  The boys were to dress as I was dressed or else wear blue serge suits.  The girls were to wear pastel colored formal gowns.  There were 646 of us graduating and we marched onto the football field to our high school band playing POMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE.  We marched in two together; a boy and girl.  It was great fun to see who you had been paired with.  I was lucky.  My partner was Jeanne Luitjens, a lovely girl and fun to talk with as we went through the process.
It was an interesting day since I had been at the Maricopa County Court that morning at 10AM to witness my Mom be granted a divorce from my Dad.  My Aunt Irene Lindley was my Mom's witness who testified on Mom's behalf  against my Dad who was sitting with me in the gallery.  After the divorce was granted we went back to our house and later on we all got dressed to go to my graduation and I posed for this photo and off we went. 
After the graduation we, Mom, Dad, me and my sis and brother, all went to the Mexico Cafe for a scrumptious Mexican dinner.  That was the last time we ever functioned as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment